10.5 QUESTIONS WITH JOAN GIBSON
1. The elevator just closed and you've got 30 seconds to pitch the random reader on who you are and why they should read your rants. Go..
Benefits are so IMPORTANT. Health care and retirement are the social issues of our lifetime! We've go to fix this mess or we're all going down with the ship (yuck). There is so much to be outraged about. Read my rants and become empowered--join the conversation.
2. Now for the mundane - break down your location, title, company/firm and what you do for a living..
I'm in San Francisco. I work for NCIRE-The Veterans Health Research Institute, which is located on the SF VA Medical Center campus at Fort Miley--a beautiful location up on a bluff that overlooks the Golden Gate. NCIRE is the non-profit organization charted by congress back in the 80's to manage all the government funding/grants/contracts for the medical research projects happening at the SF VA Medical Center. My title is Benefits Analyst and I sit in the HR Department. I'm PHR certified but now that benefits have come front and center for me I'm wondering about a CEBS designation, or something else like it...
3. One more question that everyone expects. What's the reason you're in this game? (why do you do what you do?)
Well, I love that it's called "Benefits," you know--that's pretty positive! After my first career as a Bohemian Artist in PDX ended, and before my later-in-life career as a writer kicks in--I needed a so called "real" job, so I got into Operations, then HR and now I'm specializinbg in Benefits.
4. If you've ever been to a professional baseball game, you know batters from the home team get to pick their own theme music as they walk from the dugout to the plate. If we ever have a convention, what theme music will you come out to to pump the crowd up and why?
"Walk This Way" by Aerosmith...
5. Let's stick with the baseball theme. If you've ever been to a pro game, you also know that the visitor doesn't get to pick their own music. The home team picks that for them, and it's usually less than stellar as a means of attempting to crush them. If you could pick theme music for your arch-rival to walk into a conference room to, what would it be and why?
Dance of the Sugar Plum faries, from the Nutcracker Suite...tha old holiday classic ballet...
6. Finish the following sentence - "When I'm talking to someone about benefits, I can tell they have no clue what I'm talking about because
English is not their first language and they come from countries that actually HAVE national health care plans in place. Try explaining the difference between and HMO and a PPO to this person and then tell them the y have to contrbute toward the premium through automatic payroll deductions. It's a little incomprehensible sometimes..."
7. Name the actor/actress that will portray you in the movie about you. Why the heck is that a fit?
Juliette Binoche will play me as an adult (right now) and the young Isaelle Adjani (from back in the day) will play the young me..Why? Hello! Can you say Sexy French actresses??
8. List three of your favorite books to pander to the educated segment of our readership...
Anything written by Anne Lamott, Eat, Pray, Love and The God of Small Things.
9. List three of your favorite movies to connect with the segment of our readership that doesn't like to read...
Annie Hall, The Squid and the Whale and Casablanca.
10. Let's reach out to what remains of our readership. Who's your favorite Old-School Rapper and why?
OK, confession time--I never really listened to rap, back then or now--BUT I loved soul, funk, dub, reggae, BREAK DANCING, street parties and early disco (all of which eventually led to rap).
10.5. My first car was a <blank> and here's how it defined who I am...
Oh God--let's not talk about my first car...